Hi. I’m Amanda and I’m an adult pun-lover. Actually, I think our whole team at The Transmogrifier can be accused of being adult pun-lovers. I’m fairly certain we are okay with that.
So what is it about puns that can turn my day around? It is definite that puns aren’t for everyone. When I hear a pun, I double over in laughter and slap my knee repeatedly in awkward jubilation. Seriously, I look like a grade-schooler. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. There may even be snorting. When others I associate with hear a pun, they roll their eyes and shake their heads in disdain. Actually, I may have to reconsider WHY I associate with those ones.
I was running this weekend in a San Francisco half marathon that was, to say the least, my most memorable run (*look for future blog entries!). The views and scenery were fantastic and lovely. Other runners were encouraging and fun. One man, in particular, was just plain great. He made my race. I had just crossed the Golden Gate Bridge and was heading under it for the return trip and second half of the race when he came up alongside me to announce he had adopted me for my great pacing skills. Gee thanks…not my speed, not my form, not my focus, nor my understated wit… but my pace. Anyway, we talked a moment, and then he said, “I can’t remember the last time I ran a race this beautiful and thrilling. I’ve been trying to jog my memory all morning.” Whether he intended it or not, it was brilliant. I laughed and snorted …and then apologized to the runner next to me for the over spray. As the funny, gracious runner and I parted ways, I smiled and thanked him for making my morning.
So, just to share the love, here are some of our favorite puns. Happy laughing. You’re welcome.
- Did you hear about the guy whose whole left side was cut off? He’s all right now.
- I’m reading a book about anti-gravity. It’s impossible to put down.
- I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.
- I didn’t like my beard at first. Then it grew on me.
- I’m glad I know sign language, it’s pretty handy.
- Show me a piano falling down a mineshaft and I’ll show you A-flat minor.
- There was once a cross-eyed teacher who couldn’t control his pupils.
- When William joined the army he disliked the phrase ‘fire at will‘.
- I was going to look for my missing watch, but I could never find the time.
- What did the grape say when it got stepped on? Nothing – but it let out a little whine.
Okay, okay. I’ll stop at 10…this time. I was going to throw in some puns on photography, thinking it would be a snap to find them. I even tried to develop some of my own, but I lost my focus. Besides, most of them are overexposed.